4 Things to Consider to Keep Your Family Safe This Summer!
Summer is the best time of the year for many of us, but when the season is here it’s important to make a conscious effort to assure the safety of the entire family! Including the furbabies ♥
Prepare for the season! For the hotter months of the year, it’s important to take extra precautions when it comes to keeping your entire family including pets safe. There is no substitute for careful supervision when it comes to window, pool and pet heat safety this season.
Stay cool and read on for important safety tips to keep top of mind this summer.
When the weather’s warm, there’s nothing like enjoying a cool breeze on a summer evening. It’s important to promote window safety year round and especially during this seasons.
Falls from a window can result in serious injury or death. Nearly eight children under age five are lost each year from falling out of a window and more than 3,300 are injured seriously enough to go to the hospital, according to the Safe Kids Worldwide’s 2015 Report to the Nation:
Protecting Children in Your Home. Taking these precautions can help stop preventable window injuries:
- Open windows at the top instead of the bottom if possible — kids and pets are less likely to access the opening. Always keep a watchful eye on them when they are near windows.
- Keep furniture or anything that kids and pets can easily climb on away from windows to help prevent falls from windows
- Install window guards or stops
- Replace corded shades, blinds and draperies with safer cordless window coverings or order retrofit kits if purchased before 2001
According to The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 5,900 is the average number of emergency department pool and spa drowning-related injuries treated annually from 2014-2016.
These simple steps can help prevent water-related injury and drowning:
- Seek swimming and pool safety training. Contact your local Red Cross to get CPR and First Aid training.
- Appoint a “designated watcher” for your group to monitor those at or near the pool even if there’s a life guard is on duty
- Remove floats, balls and other toys from the pool when not in use
- Keep a life preserver, first aid kit and cellphone poolside for emergency situations
Hot Weather Safety
Summer is the perfect time for grilling out, going to the park and hiking a new trail. While enjoying the sun with friends and family, it’s important to remember that heat can be dangerous, if proper precautions aren’t taken.
Stay cool with these tips:
- Use sunscreen
- Stay hydrated to help your body sweat and maintain a normal body temperature
- Wear clothing light in color and fabric to allow your body to cool properly
- Avoid physical exertion or leaving anyone in a parked car during hottest parts of the day
- Keep emergency flares, solar cellphone charges plus a small first-aid kit handy during hikes
Summer is a great time to enjoy fresh air and fun with your pet. As temperatures begin to soar this season, you can help your pet beat the heat and stay safe this season with these tips:
- Keep hydrated
- Exercise during cooler morning and evening hours
- Never leave in a hot car or allow to ride in an open truck bed
- Ensure toxic insecticides, insect repellents, sunscreen and citronella are put away
We hope that you have a safe and enjoyable summer with your family ♥